Toll Free U.S. & Canada


Canadian Taxes for US Residents

Family Owned Foreign Corporation

Are you an American married to an Australian who owns an Australian corporation? Are you a Canadian living in the U.S. who has family back in Canada that owns a Canadian corporation? Did you receive shares of a Canadian corporation through an estate freeze? If so, then you will
Read More

California Taxes a Canadian Trust

As we discussed in a previous article, many Canadians are shocked to learn that California taxes their RRSP’s. Many Canadians are surprised, and dismayed, to learn that their Canadian trust could be subject, inadvertently, to the long arm of California’s tax system. Better yet,
Read More

Is A Canadian A California Resident?

Am I a California tax resident? Do I need to pay taxes in California? At Gedeon Law & CPA, we are frequently asked these questions by Canadians who spend time in California for work or play or both. As the only firm licensed in California and Ontario, Canada, we regularly
Read More

California Tax Filing with a Canadian Spouse

Our previous article discussed the concept of California domicile and the application of California community property rules to Canadians domiciled in the state.  This article is the second installment in our series of articles dealing with how California community property laws
Read More

Canadians & Community Property

Canadians find many things in California to be foreign, like the sun, sand, surf and In-N-Out Burgers. But when it comes to Canadians who have family in California or who spend considerable time in the Golden State, California’s community property laws make Canadians realize just
Read More

U.S. Tax Sale or Gift to Canadian Spouse

When a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Resident Alien is married to a Canadian spouse and the spouse is not a U.S. citizen, then inter-spousal property transfers between the spouses could be taxable in the U.S. or subject to U.S. gift tax rules. Most Canadians are not familiar with a gift
Read More

How Does California FTB Tax RRSP?

California residents who hold RRSPs, LIRAs, RRIFs or other Canadian tax-deferred accounts are subject to a unique set of tax and reporting requirements. Moreover, these requirements lead to higher tax preparation fees and complex recordkeeping for Canadians. In this article, we
Read More

Canadian Rental Property Owned By A Non-Resident

Gedeon Law & CPA has many Canadian clients who depart Canada to become US tax residents while leaving a Canadian rental property behind. In fact, for our Canadian clients who do not want to sell their Canadian principal residence before departing Canada, we recommend
Read More

Canadian/Australian Bank Request W-9/W-8BEN

Did you receive a notice from your Canadian or Australian bank asking you to complete an IRS Form such as a W-9 or W-8BEN? If so, then it’s likely your bank has performed a review of its records and flagged your account as subject to additional reporting requirements to Canada
Read More

U.S. Tax on Canada/Australia Rental Property

It’s no surprise many Canadians and Australians moving to the US choose to rent out, rather than sell, their properties back home. With a strong rental market and housing price valuations in cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Sydney and Melbourne, the return on investment from
Read More