Toll Free U.S. & Canada


Certifying Acceptance Agent

As a Certifying Acceptance Agent, Gedeon Law & CPA is authorized by the IRS assist alien individuals and other foreign taxpayers who are not eligible to obtain a SSN with applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number(ITIN).

We offer this service to our clients and foreign nationals to assist in the compliance with IRS tax filings and withholding regulations. Our formal agreement under Section 301.6109-1(d)(3)(iv)(A) of the U.S. Treasury Regulations with the IRS allows us to:

Prepare the IRS Form W-7, Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number(ITIN)

Review the required supporting documentation (during a personal interview or via video conference) to verify the applicants identity and foreign status

Issue a Certificate of Accuracy to the IRS that the ITIN application is complete, accurate and that the documentation provided to us for review is authentic. This is limited to primary and secondary applicants. Applications for dependents will still require that originals documentation or certified copies from the issuing agency be mailed to IRS.

Submit the application on behalf of the foreign individual to the IRS ITIN Operations office for processing

Receive the ITIN directly from the IRS and communicate directly with the IRS on behalf of the applicant with respect to the issuance of the ITIN

Offer expedited ITIN application service with the IRS, who processes ITIN applications submitted by Certifying Acceptance Agents before processing ITIN applications submitted directly by ITIN applicants.

Why Use A Certifying Acceptance Agent Over An Acceptance Agent?

Both an IRS Acceptance Agent and an IRS Certifying Acceptance Agent help eligible individuals to apply for an IRS ITIN number.

There are, however, two main differences that make it much more convenient to utilize the services of a Certifying Acceptance Agent as compared to the services of an Acceptance Agent when applying for an IRS ITIN number.

First, a Certifying Acceptance Agent can certify an applicant’s identification documents whereas an Acceptance Agent cannot. Individuals applying through an Acceptance Agent must either submit their original identification documents, or submit a copy certified by the issuing agency, a State Department employee at a US Embassy or Consulate, or a foreign notary authorized under the Hague Convention.

Second, a Certifying Acceptance Agent can receive the IRS ITIN number whereas an Acceptance Agent cannot.

Who Needs An ITIN?

ITIN’s are only available to individuals who are required to have a taxpayer identification number for tax purposes, and do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITIN’s are issued regardless of immigration status. Both resident and nonresident aliens who have United States tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code are qualified to be issued an ITIN. If you are required to file a U.S. tax return, or must file a U.S. tax return to claim a refund of over-withheld tax, then you are eligible to receive an ITIN.

Please contact us for further assistance with applying for an ITIN. We speak fluent Spanish and French.
Hablamos Español. Nous parlons français.