Toll Free U.S. & Canada


Substantial Presence Test

Is A Canadian A California Resident?

Am I a California tax resident? Do I need to pay taxes in California? At Gedeon Law & CPA, we are frequently asked these questions by Canadians who spend time in California for work or play or both. As the only firm licensed in California and Ontario, Canada, we regularly
Read More

California Tax Filing with a Canadian Spouse

Our previous article discussed the concept of California domicile and the application of California community property rules to Canadians domiciled in the state.  This article is the second installment in our series of articles dealing with how California community property laws
Read More

Canadians & Community Property

Canadians find many things in California to be foreign, like the sun, sand, surf and In-N-Out Burgers. But when it comes to Canadians who have family in California or who spend considerable time in the Golden State, California’s community property laws make Canadians realize just
Read More

U.S. Tax Sale or Gift to Canadian Spouse

When a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Resident Alien is married to a Canadian spouse and the spouse is not a U.S. citizen, then inter-spousal property transfers between the spouses could be taxable in the U.S. or subject to U.S. gift tax rules. Most Canadians are not familiar with a gift
Read More

Am I a US tax resident?

Most Canadians and Australians who move to the US easily know their immigration residency status. What they do struggle with, however, is their residency status for US income tax purposes. While its common knowledge that US citizens and green card holders are responsible for
Read More