Toll Free U.S. & Canada


u.s. tax resident

Family Owned Foreign Corporation

Are you an American married to an Australian who owns an Australian corporation? Are you a Canadian living in the U.S. who has family back in Canada that owns a Canadian corporation? Did you receive shares of a Canadian corporation through an estate freeze? If so, then you will
Read More

California Taxes a Canadian Trust

As we discussed in a previous article, many Canadians are shocked to learn that California taxes their RRSP’s. Many Canadians are surprised, and dismayed, to learn that their Canadian trust could be subject, inadvertently, to the long arm of California’s tax system. Better yet,
Read More

Is A Canadian A California Resident?

Am I a California tax resident? Do I need to pay taxes in California? At Gedeon Law & CPA, we are frequently asked these questions by Canadians who spend time in California for work or play or both. As the only firm licensed in California and Ontario, Canada, we regularly
Read More

Canadians & Community Property

Canadians find many things in California to be foreign, like the sun, sand, surf and In-N-Out Burgers. But when it comes to Canadians who have family in California or who spend considerable time in the Golden State, California’s community property laws make Canadians realize just
Read More

U.S. Tax Sale or Gift to Canadian Spouse

When a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Resident Alien is married to a Canadian spouse and the spouse is not a U.S. citizen, then inter-spousal property transfers between the spouses could be taxable in the U.S. or subject to U.S. gift tax rules. Most Canadians are not familiar with a gift
Read More

How Does California FTB Tax RRSP?

California residents who hold RRSPs, LIRAs, RRIFs or other Canadian tax-deferred accounts are subject to a unique set of tax and reporting requirements. Moreover, these requirements lead to higher tax preparation fees and complex recordkeeping for Canadians. In this article, we
Read More

U.S. Tax on Canada/Australia Rental Property

It’s no surprise many Canadians and Australians moving to the US choose to rent out, rather than sell, their properties back home. With a strong rental market and housing price valuations in cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Sydney and Melbourne, the return on investment from
Read More

Am I a US tax resident?

Most Canadians and Australians who move to the US easily know their immigration residency status. What they do struggle with, however, is their residency status for US income tax purposes. While its common knowledge that US citizens and green card holders are responsible for
Read More