Toll Free U.S. & Canada



California Taxes a Canadian Trust

As we discussed in a previous article, many Canadians are shocked to learn that California taxes their RRSP’s. Many Canadians are surprised, and dismayed, to learn that their Canadian trust could be subject, inadvertently, to the long arm of California’s tax system. Better yet,
Read More

How Does California FTB Tax RRSP?

California residents who hold RRSPs, LIRAs, RRIFs or other Canadian tax-deferred accounts are subject to a unique set of tax and reporting requirements. Moreover, these requirements lead to higher tax preparation fees and complex recordkeeping for Canadians. In this article, we
Read More

IRS Announces Changes to RRSP Reporting

It’s not often the IRS reduces the information taxpayers need to report with their tax return. Luckily for Canadians, however, the IRS did just that yesterday when it announced Canadians no longer need to report their RRSP and RRIF accounts on Form 8891. Before getting too
Read More

IRS Helps Canadians With Unreported FBAR Accounts

With today being Canada Day, there are many reasons for Canadians to be happy. Whether your’re relaxing with a cold Molson at the cottage or following the NHL Free Agent Frenzy to see how good(or bad in the Maple Leafs case) your team did in the free agent market, Canada Day is a
Read More

Repaying Home Buyer Plan (HBP) and Non-Residents

At Gedeon Law & CPA, we’ve worked with many Canadians who have taken out money from their RRSPs under the Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) and then moved to the US with an unpaid balance. As most Canadians know, HBP is a program that allows Canadians to withdraw up
Read More

Are My RRSP Contributions Deductible in the USA?

A while back, we published a newsletter on deducting 401(K) contributions for purposes of Canadian taxation. Now we turn our attention to whether or not contributions to an RRSP are deductible for purposes of US taxation. Praneil is a dual US-Canadian citizen who has been living
Read More

Do I Pay U.S. Taxes on My RRSP Withdrawal?

Does this situation sound familiar? You moved from Canada to the U.S and became a U.S tax resident. When you left Canada, you also left your RRSP account open. If you are like many Canadian ex-pats who have left their RRSP’s behind to grow tax free in Canada, then you may
Read More